It started snowing after 45 minutes of our drive (in Findlay, for those who know the area) and we still had 4 hours to go! About another 45 minutes, and a light on our dashboard flicks on. I grabbed the car manual to see what the warning light was telling us. "Throttle control and Transmission." Great! The Brower Curse! I knew that we had not lost our transmission yet, because that had happened in my parents car and I knew what that was like. The car was still running fine.
We called Jon's dad to see if we needed to find the closest mechanic or if we could keep going. He looked online, and found that in cold, snowy weather that light will come on in Fusions, but when the car is stopped and restarted the light would not come back on. It was fine. We kept going.
We stopped for lunch just past Cincinnati, over the Kentucky border. When we were pulling into the McDonald's, our car was doing some weird things, and we began to worry a little that the car would not start again after we ate. Jon and I took turns eating and watching James on the toy. James had eaten lunch before we stopped, and was enjoying running around. Th moment of truth came. Our car started up just fine, and we did not have anymore lights come on while we were driving.
We started going through the mountains (or hills, because they did not look like any mountains I grew up with in Idaho). On the other side of the interstate, there was a pretty bad wreck. Traffic was stopped and there were a lot of emergency vehicles there. It was really slick and visibility was really low. We drove a little farther. Past a sign that says "sight of fatal bus crash May 14, 1988" (I think that was the year). We made a metal note to look that up to see why there would be a sign for it. Then all of the sudden traffic stopped in front of us. We were sliding toward a semi, and could not stop. Luckily, there was no one in the lane next to us, and the small SUV passing the semi was far enough passes that we were able to stop before hitting them, but now we were sitting stopped on the road with no one directly behind us and our fear was that who ever came up behind us would not be able to stop on the slick roads. Another miracle, a semi a little ways back that was stopped blocked both lanes so that those coming would slow down sooner and not cause another accident. Traffic actually moved pretty well. We were not sitting there long. When we passed the accident that was causing the slow up, it was mostly cleaned up. The last car was just being pulled on to a tow truck. The top of the car was pealed back. The people inside had to be cut out. It looked really bad. Honestly, we were a little surprised that there were not more accidents. It was really slick. Traffic move a little slower after that.
Looking back, there are some memories there, but at the time it was really stupid, and a very stressful drive. We decided to stop and see the temple first, so when we got to the hotel we would not have to leave again. This picture was to show how bad the weather was, but it does not look nearly as bad a it was.
There was one car in the parking lot.
We wondered if that person was calling people to let them know that the temple was going to be closed because of the weather. Our car.
Yes, that is a solid block of ice on our license plate. It is still there too. Hopefully, it will melt a little if it really gets in the 30s a few days this week. James loved getting out of the car, but was upset when we did not go inside the church building. He did not want to get back in the car. Luckily, it was a short drive to our hotel, where we got out and hung out at the hotel for the rest of the day.
We got carry out at the restaurant next door, but James would not eat anything there, so he eat an entire lunchable and half a cucumber. I guess he was really hungry. Hanging out at the hotel.
I was a little worried about James not sleeping well, since in Indy, he did not sleep at all in the hotel. I was surprised when he climbed up in my lap and fell asleep. Jon put him in his pack a play, which he barely fits in now, and he slept though the night. Jon and I were even able to watch Royal Pains without James stirring. Waiting to leave the next day.
We went to the downtown library. James loved the children's area! I forgot to bring my camera in, so no pictures, and it is hard to describe. We pulled James away with the promise that he could push the button to open the door going outside. Sadly, we got there and found that it was just an automatic door with no button, but he thought it was funny that the door open by itself.
We went to lunch at Lynn's Paradise Cafe. It is very colorful.
We sat at the table next to the tree and the purple pole in this picture.
The table had a train inside of it. James loved it! James watching the train.
He also liked the cups full of zoo animals and crayons.
I could not get him to eat much while we were there. He ate later in the car. It food was pretty good, too.
Then we went to the zoo and walked in the freezing temperature. We looked at the two buildings that were right next to each other. The first one had birds and the orangutans. Penguins.
The other had fish, lizards, snakes, spiders and frogs. Fishies!
Big Toad.


3 comments:
Crazy!!! Is there really anything else for me to say?!? I'm glad you guys made it safe!
Hey you were right by us! We live in Kentucky near Cincinnati. I just went to the temple on Saturday! The parking lot was still covered with snow. I've driven by that fatal bus crash site several times. Did you look up the story behind it? It's sad. I thought it must be a dangerous spot, but then I read that the accident was caused by a drunk driver. After hearing your story though, I guess it is a dangerous spot after all! I'm glad you're okay!
I'm glad you made it back safely. You got to see some neat places during the storm. Thanks for the pictures!! I love you
Post a Comment