Friday, July 22, 2011

Michigan So Far

Here is what we have been doing the last month or so since we moved to Michigan.  I decided to put all of this in one post so it will be really long.  Our first night, we found this frog on our deck. 
He came back again yesterday and perched on the edge of my watering can.  Later, I found him inside the watering can, so I tipped it over so he could get out.

Strawberry picking at Krupp Farms. 
James loved it! 
Especially, when he found out he could eat the strawberries as he picked them.
Then, he was more interested in a "stick" he found.
It was part of a strawberry plant he picked.  We had a good time, and we picked eight and a half pounds of strawberries. 
I made some jam and froze some for smoothies.

Most of Jon's residency class got together for a barbecue right before they officially started work.  James was the only kid there, but made some friends anyway.  There were a few dogs, which he was mostly afraid of and ran from.  He also took there frisbees away.
Since Jon's class is pediatrics, everyone was good with James.  Some even played catch with a frisbee until it started to rain.
It was fun to see some of the faces of the people that Jon works with all day.  There was also some good food.  Maybe at the next one some of the other kids will be able to come, like the triplets.

On the Fourth, we made a trip to the beach.  The weather was really nice, and it was fun to see Lake Michigan again and play in the sand.  We will likely make more trips out there.  Walking to the beach.
The view as we walked to the beach.
James loved playing in the sand.
He avoided the water mostly.  He has been a little anti-water recently.  I have not even been able to get him to take baths without him screaming and just standing there while I wash him as fast as possible.  Hopefully his love of water will come back soon!
It was a good thing all James's new friends brought so many fun beach toys.  We also enjoyed lunch at McDonalds.  That evening we went to a barbecue around the corner.  James loved all the time outside playing.  Jon and I were exhausted from the sun at the beach, but it was nice to hang out with others in our neighborhood and ward.  We did not stay for fireworks.  We took James home and put him to bed, then fell asleep ourselves before the fireworks started on TV.  It was a good Fourth though!

Cherry Picking (not in sports) at Robinette's Apple Haus.
James enjoyed picking cherries out of the trees.
Since I did not want as many cherries as strawberries, I mostly just let James pick them.
We walked around until we found ripe ones low enough for him to pick.
I knew James was done when he was more interested in picking the flowers.
We picked about two pounds of cherries.  We enjoyed eating them, and I made some into pancakes, which James loved!

That is all I have pictures for, and therefore is all I can remember right now.  I was hoping to go pick some raspberries too, but it has been way too hot recently.  I am afraid that raspberry season will be over when it cools off a little.  Oh well, I guess we can try for next year.

2 comments:

Mom Brower said...

I love that there is so much fresh fruit that you pick. James is a good helper, too!! Enjoy! XO

Anonymous said...

What fun trips, and a lucky little boy to be able to have so much fun. Reminds me some of Snoqualmie WA. and all the strawberries. Love mom f