Friday, May 8, 2009

Grand Adventure Part 6: Driving Across the Country

This is the last part of our journey.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We left Utah at about 10:00 a.m. and started the long drive I had been dreading. The first day passed pretty much without incident. It was a lot of driving through a lot of brown. Wyoming is not the most exciting place to drive through. There are some fun land formations, but not much else. Here are some pictures of the drive so you can see for yourself. James did really good. I was the most surprised by that. I was sure he would not like it and let us know, but he slept, chewed on my fingers, and played.

We stopped for the night in North Platte, Nebraska at about 9:30 p.m. James was really excited for the crib provided by the hotel we stayed at.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

We left at 9:00 a.m. The day started the same way with James sleeping. Here is some of the scenery of the day. A little different from the previous day, but still a little monotonous. We did see more cities through Nebraska and Iowa like Lincoln and Omaha. And we saw a lot of wind power being generated. James played again.

We arrived in Davenport, Iowa at a little after 6:00 p.m. and stated with one of Jon's mission companions and his family. It was really nice to hang out with them, and I am grateful they opened their home to us and let James sleep in Kara's crib.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

We took our time leaving since this was the shortest leg of our drive, and we enjoyed some time out of the car. James had fun "playing" with Kara, though I am not sure how much Kara enjoyed it. She did not see to sure about James wanting to hold her hand.

We drove through Illinois and Chicago, and on through Indiana. We arrived in Toledo around 5:00 p.m. James and I were so glad to be home. I had stake meetings that started at 6:30 that night, but I was exhausted and decided not to go.

I brought a few things back from out West.

  • Four Jars of Nalley Pickles
  • Salsa from Plum Loco
  • Peppered and Cajun Jerky from Erda, Utah
  • Homegrown Beef : two roast, 3 lbs. of hamburger, and four steaks
  • Chocolate from Switzerland (Thanks Kirkham Family!)
  • Easter Candy

3 comments:

The Ziemers said...

Your trip sounded exhausting! It makes me dread the drive across in a couple months. It looks like you had fun in Amish Country. I bet Jon was in heaven. I know of his love of cheese and German food. It probably reminded him of his mission. And James continues to be a GOOD BABY! You are so blessed to have him.

Grandma Brower said...

We certainly miss you. It was fun to have the 2 of you here for a few days. James is such a good baby, he is a lot like his mommy. You, too, were a good baby. The mother's curse came through for you! Oh, by the way, the hamburger comes in 2 pound packages, so you really got 6 lbs.
Come back anytime! We love you! When we come out, we will have to visit Amish Country with you.

Karen said...

It was good to see you and little James! Glad you had a successful trip!