Last night while Jon went out to help the Elders, I went to my wards celebration of the organization of the Relief Society."Female Church members ages 18 and older belong to the Relief Society. The Relief Society was founded by the Prophet Joseph Smith on March 17, 1842, in Nauvoo, Illinois. In the days of its founding, it had two main purposes: to provide relief for the poor and needy and to bring people to Christ. The organization continues today, staying true to those original guiding principles as women in the Relief Society meet together on Sunday and in other settings as needed" (taken from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints website).
I know this organization is truly inspired. It is a great blessing to many lives. Even though I have been old enough to be a member of the Relief Society for more than 10 years, I haven't had much opportunity to attend the Sunday meetings. I was called into the nursery the Sunday after I turned 18, and have served in the Primary and Young Women's (I think I relate better to the younger people in the ward. They are so much more accepting and forgiving). Even though, this is the case, the Relief Society has blessed my life.
The biggest opportunity/blessing (and hardest) was the opportunity to serve in a student singles ward after Jon and I were married. Even though I was married and the rest of the women of the ward were single, they taught me so many things. They were always so willing to give of their time for others and were always helping those in need. Thanks you Sisters of the BYU 11th ward! You are all amazing women! This definition fits you all very well:
"Women in Relief Society are members of a worldwide sisterhood, united in devotion to Jesus Christ. They join with other daughters of God as a woman of faith, virtue, vision, and charity, with the sure knowledge that their life has meaning, purpose, and direction. Through their participation in Relief Society, they have opportunities to enjoy sisterhood and companionship, give meaningful service, develop and share their testimonies and talents, and grow spiritually" (taken from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints website).
No comments:
Post a Comment