
Yesterday, Jon and I went to
Frankenmuth, Michigan. It was a lot of fun to get out of Toledo. We were able to eat German food at the
Bavarian Inn Restaurant. It was better than I had expected, but after eating at
Arturo's Fritz & Alfredo's with their German/Mexican cuisine, my expectation for finding good German food in the area was not high. It was better, but they did not serve the Spaetzle and Wiener Schnitzel with brown gravy. They just had a creamy mushroom or chicken gravies. It was not very authentic. The best place in the USA for German food is still in Salt Lake City.
We wandered the city after our meal. There were some fun buildings, but they were intermixed with Western and modern style. If you want the feel of a real Bavarian Village in the USA, visit
Leavenworth, Washington. It was better.
Fankenmuth was fun and a good attempt, but was lacking in a few areas.
Here are some pictures of the good parts of
Frankenmuth as a Bavarian Village. This is the covered bridge that leads from the
Bavarian Inn Restaurant to the
Bavarian Inn. It was made entirely of wood. Max weight was 10 tons.

Another view of the bridge.

The river, which the bridge crosses was frozen. It was a little cold while we were there.

Frozen river with a view of the
Bavarian Inn.

This is the front of the
Bavarian Inn. It was a huge building! It has three indoor swimming pools!

This is actually a picture of an insurance company in
Frankenmuth, but it was a pretty Bavarian-style building.

The next two pictures and the first one at the top of this post were taken in an outdoor mall. Jon said it was a really good representation of what a Bavarian Village looks like. Most of the stores wouldn't be open until Spring. Here is the
River Place Mall.


This is a picture of an exact
replica of the
Silent Night Chapel in Oberndorf, Austria.

Inside the chapel.
Our last stop before we headed back to Toledo was to the world's largest Christmas store,
Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland. It was overwhelming! I can say that it is the largest Christmas store in the world. It was huge! Click
here to see the store directory. Here are some pictures I found on the Internet (plus a picture of an ornament we bought to represent our first year at med. school). I was too overwhelmed to take my own pictures.
5 comments:
Wow, what a neat little place. Looks like you had fun! What's the place called that has German food in SLC? We'll have to try it sometime.
It's called Siegfried's. It is at 20 West 200 South in Salt Lake, near the Capitol Theatre. There is a parking garage to the West of Siegfried's where they will validate parking.
This looks like SO much fun. I had no idea it existed!
You two are great at getting out and seeing the world! What a fun little city and I am proud of your "touring" abilities. What a blast!
Sorry it was kind of a disappointment. It looks like a sweet little German village. I had no idea that SLC had such a great German scene. It goes to show that I don't know everything about my home town.
Post a Comment