Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY
by Judith Viorst

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

"At breakfast Anthony found a Corvette Sting Ray car kit in his cereal box and Nick found a Junior Undercover Agent code ring in his cereal box but in my breakfast cereal box all I found was breakfast cereal. I think I'll move to Australia.

"In the car pool Mrs. Gibson let Becky have a seat by the window. Audrey and Elliott got seats by the window too. I said I was being scrunched. I said I was being smushed. I said, if I don't get a seat by the window I am going to be carsick. No one even answered. I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

"At school Mrs. Dickens liked Paul's picture of the sailboat better than my picture of the invisible castle. At singing time she said I sang too loud. At counting time she said I left out sixteen. Who needs sixteen? I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

"I could tell because Paul said I wasn't his best friend anymore. He said that Philip Parker was his best friend and that Albert Moyo was his next best friend and that I was only his third best friend. I hope you sit on a tack, I said to Paul. I hope the next time you get a double-decker strawberry ice-cream cone the ice cream part falls off the cone part and lands in Australia.

"There were two cupcakes in Philip Parker's lunch bag and Albert got a Hershey bar with almonds and Paul's mother gave him a piece of jelly roll that had little coconut sprinkles on the top. Guess whose mother forgot to put in dessert? It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

"That's what it was, because after school my mom took us all to the dentist and Dr. Fields found a cavity just in me. Come back next week and I'll fix it, said Dr. Fields. Next week, I said, I'm going to Australia.

"On the way downstairs the elevator door closed on my foot and while we were waiting for my mom to go get the car Anthony made me fall where it was muddy and then when I started crying because of the mud Nick said I was a crybaby and while I was punching Nick for saying crybaby my mom came back with the car and scolded me for being muddy and fighting. I am having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, I told everybody. No one even answered.

"So then we went to the shoe store to buy some sneakers. Anthony chose white ones with blue stripes. Nick chose red ones with white stripes. I chose blue ones with red stripes but then the shoe man said, We're all sold out. They made me buy plain old white ones, but they can't make me wear them.

"When we picked up my dad at his office he said I couldn't play with his copying machine, but I forgot. He also said to watch out for the books on his desk, and I was careful as could be except for my elbow. He also said don't fool around with his phone, but I think I called Australia. My dad said please don't pick him up anymore. It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

"There were Lima beans for dinner and I hate Limas. There was kissing on TV and I hate kissing. My bath was too hot, I got soap in my eyes, my marble went down the drain, and I had to wear my railroad-train pajamas. I hate my railroad-train pajamas. When I went to bed Nick took back the pillow he said I could keep and the Mickey Mouse night light burned out and I bit my tongue. The cat wants to sleep with Anthony, not with me. It has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. My mom says some days are like that.

"Even in Australia."

Yesterday was a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." I'll just say that the high-light was our washing machine decided to have problems. After moving the washing machine back to where it should be, ringing out all the sopping clothes by hand, and cleaning the water off the floor, I tried running the water in the machine out of it, and it worked just fine. The moral of the story is don't over fill your washing machine. Yep, that was the problem. I put too many clothes in, which I wondered about when I was doing it, but didn't do anything about it. That caused the machine to be off balance and work its way up against the wall, kinking the hoses and causing some back pressure. Thus the water on the floor. The good news is that our washer is fine.

The day did get better, but only because I have such a wonderful husband. When he got home from classes, we went out to dinner. We used his birthday coupon for Applebee's to get one entree free. Then he continued to keep me laughing the rest on the night. He is the best! Thanks Jon!

3 comments:

Kathlen said...

I am so glad that we have such wonderful husbands. Hope today goes a lot better for you!! If you ever need to talk during the day, you have my number. Brett's Nap are at 10am and 2pm. Love you lots!

dockters said...

It must have been a MONDAY!! Although I didn't have a washing machine act up, my yesterday wasn't all that hot either! Sometimes days like that just happen! But thank goodness for great spouses to cheer us up! :)

ashley g. said...

Sadness. What a totally stinky day!! I must agree- it looks like somebody had "a case of the Monday's." My sincere condolences for the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.