Jacob was supposed to be born today. Crazy that he is already over a week old. I know that some of you want to know the story of how or why he came on the 18th instead. I will get to that in a minute, but first a little about why I have not blogged in a while. Yes, I am recuperating, and yes, I have a new baby at home, but the biggest reason I have not blogged in a while it that I am trying to spend some one-on-one time with James. That takes up all the spare time that I would normally spend blogging. I don't want James to feel like the baby gets all his Mommy's time now. Actually, Grandma Brower and Daddy mostly take care of Jacob during the day, and I do night duty.
Anyway, let's go back to last weekend. Saturday was a really busy day. We started with a trip to the grocery store. It was our normal weekly trip to get all the things we would need for the week. Too bad half the stuff went bad before we used it. Then we put James down for his nap and watched some College Football. A normal activity for a Saturday at the Felt's house. When James woke up, we headed out to find a couch and guest bed. We were able to find both for the amount we had budgeted for a couch. We got some great deals.
Now, you might ask, what did our Saturday activities have to do with Jacob's birth, and really not much, except that we are glad we went on Saturday. And scheduled the delivery of our new furniture for the next Friday.
Sunday started like any other Sunday. I got James and myself ready for church. My stomach was hurting a little, but it felt more like I had to go to the bathroom than anything else, so I did not think much of it. At church, it was our Primary Program. James wanted to sit on my lap through most of it, so he could see his friend Sheridan on the stand singing. After Sacrament Meeting, Sheridan came to take James to nursery and Jon followed at a safe distance just to make sure James got to nursery alright. When Jon joined me in the Relief Society Room for Sunday School I told him about the pain I was feeling in my stomach and how weird it was. He said I should time how often I felt it, so I started doing that. Through Sunday School, it was anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 minutes apart.
For Relief Society, I put my feet up on another chair because my feet were really swollen, and I continued to time what I now knew to be contractions. they were consistently 3 to 4 minutes apart all through the lesson. Afterward on of the sisters asked me how I was doing. I told her I was having contractions about 4 minutes apart and she was surprised that I was so calm. She said if I need somewhere to take James that night , I could bring him to her place. Sister Jones overheard too, and said the same, but she lives a lot closer to us.
I told Jon about the contractions and the offers for babysitting. We stayed a little bit after church for choir practice. James played with Sheridan, who was hiding from her mom so she didn't have to go home yet, and I sat in the back of the chapel with my feet up, keeping up the timing of the contractions. They were now 2 to 3 minutes apart. While I was sitting there, Sheridan's mom, the Relief Society President, found us. We talked for a little bit. Sister Jones had told her that I was having contractions 4 minutes apart. Sister Richmond said Jon and I should head to the hospital right then and her family would take James until Jon could come get him. Jon stood up in the middle of the song that they were singing and came to the back of the chapel. He went to get the car seat so the Richmonds could take James.
We stopped at our house first so we could call ahead and let them know we were coming. I also changed out of my dress and grabbed my wallet in case they needed my insurance card. Once again, I was not able to pack a bag, but it all worked out. I knew I should have done it sooner. We got to the hospital and a security guard wheeled me in while Jon parked the car. They just set me off to the side and called Labor and Delivery to come and get me. Jon got there before the nurse. We went up and right into a room. I was only dilated to 1 cm and 50 % effaced, but I was having contractions every 3 minutes. They were going to wait until 7:00 p.m. (about 2 hours) since the doctor was currently delivering another baby and that is when he was expected to be done. At 6:00, the doctor said to check me again so we could know if we were having a baby that night or going home. 2 cm and 80% effaced. Jon said that was a fast progression, but I have nothing to go by. They started to prep. me for a C-section. The contractions were starting to get pretty intense, and I was glad for the spinal to start working. Jacob was born at 6:57 p.m. About 4 hours after church.
Luckily, Jon was able to get most of the week off, so he could be with James. Thanks to the Harris Family for watching James when Jon had to work. My mom actually got here the day after I went home from the hospital. We are all glad she is here!
I am going to try and get some more pictures up in the next few days. I think we are getting into some kind of a routine, but it will all change when Jon goes back to work (he now has two weeks of vacation) and then again when Grandmas leave.
1 comment:
I can not believe you stayed at church that long with contractions!!! When I started having contractions with Carter I could not breath and I was about to rip Justin's arm off! They must have been not too bad, right? I'm glad every thing went smoothly! Thanks for sharing the birth story, I always love hearing how kids make it into this crazy world!
Post a Comment