After four hours in the ER last night, I found out I wasn't passing multiple kidney stones, but one large stone that was having troubles passing. I started having pain again for the fourth day in a row. I was so sick of the pain and so with some reluctance (I hate going to the doctor), Jon took me to the emergency room.The CT scan showed that this stone was half a centimeter (5 millimeters), which is 5 times bigger than when I went to the ER before. The scan also showed that my right kidney was twice the size of my left, and that the stone was about to past. Jon got to see his first CT scan, and was a little excited about that, but would have rather been studying for his big test that is on Friday.
I had a liter of fluids pushed in me so fast is made me puff up. My face looked like I had just gotten done at the dentist, but it was all over. They also gave me some pain medicine once they figured out something I wasn't allergic to.Dr. Brickman, the head of the ER, was very helpful. I am going to a urologist sometime next week. I also get to go to the bathroom through a strainer to try and catch the stone when it finally comes out. Dr. Brickman was going to give me a drug called Flomax. You might have heard of it. There are quite a few commercials on TV for it. Flomax is a drug use for men who have prostate growing problems. Urologist proscribe it for women
because it opens up the ureter (the tube connecting the kidney and bladder) so the stone can pass more easily. However, upon further examination of the structure of the drug, it was found that I'm allergic to it. It has one sulfa group on it and I am allergic to sulfa drugs.Now I wait for my kidney stone to pass. "I hate waiting."-Inigo Montoya
FYI: I have also updated my allergy list. Just the "Other" section has changed.
1 comment:
Oh my Keriann!! OUCH! Sounds like you guys had a long night, but good that you were able to get some help! Please let me know if you need ANYTHING...seriously!!
Post a Comment