Monday, May 19, 2008

The Tiffin Branch

Sunday morning, I left at 6:55 a.m. to head to a unit conference in Tiffin, Ohio. It is southeast of Toledo. I met up with the Stake Young Women's President, Sister Chase, at her home in Haskins. We (Sister Chase, her daughter, and I) traveled the hour to Tiffin, getting there just in time for the meeting of all the speakers prior to sacrament meeting. It was a fun drive, but I have to say that all of Northwest Ohio looks the same to me. Flat farmland with lots of groves of trees interspersed.

Sister Chase had woke up without a voice and she was supposed to be speaking in sacrament meeting and then teaching part of the lesson for the combined Young Men and Young Women. She whispered her talk with the microphone turned way up. It was good. All the talks were good and I heard somethings that I needed.

Before sacrament meeting started, Sister Chase decided that she would not be able to teach, but she would still try to do her talk. I got the opportunity to teach. Well, Brother Watson (Dusty) and I split Sister Chase's part of the lesson. I was terrified! I don't do well with last minute things like this, but I agreed to it. It turned out well, and in the end I was glad I was there to help out. There were only 5 youth and about 5 leaders from the branch, so it was a small group.

It was a good experience! In September, I will get to teach again since Sister Dewey will be out of town. At least I will have a little more time to prepare for that one.

The ride home was fun. Sister Chase's voice was coming back. It was fun to chat about how things went and other things in life. I got home at about 2:20 p.m.

Later that evening was seminary graduation. It was really cool to be there and support those that graduated. There were some really good talks from some of the graduating seniors. Jon was able to go with me and it was nice to actually get to spend some time with him during a busy day.

It was a busy day filled with a lot of good things, but I was so exhausted last night that I went to bed at nine and actually slept well!

4 comments:

brittani c. said...

I knew the Chase's...they are such a cute family. Her husband was the ward mission leader in the Bowling Green ward, the first area that I served in. My companion and I went to their home on a couple of P-days to make cards with Sister Chase. How fun that you are getting to know her!

Keriann said...

Julia Chase and I are already good friends. Now her daughter, Jasmen, and I are friends too. They are great people!

ashley g. said...

What a cool experience. I am so glad that you shared as we just moved back to "the motherland" aka Utah. It sounds like they need every one to work hard, and I'm glad that you are there to do it. Keep it up, Lady!

Karen said...

I remember traveling through Ohio. And you are right... flat fields and trees here and there. Southern Ohio actually has a few hills (locally referred to as mountains) and some pretty gully's between. Imagine though what it would have been like for the first settlers coming through Ohio. The entire state was trees. What they used to do was cut trees down and lay them across the ground to make a wooden "road" of sorts. Then they'd pull thier wagon over the top of that. The first wagons through only touched dirt for a couple miles or so, through the ENTIRE state! Random... sorry such a long comment!