Monday, September 15, 2008

Youth Standards Night

Saturday night was Youth Standards Night for our stake. I am surprised that it came together and worked out great. There were a lot of stressful days leading up to this event. We had many people, who were supposed to participate, discover they could not be there, and we had to scramble many times for someone to fill in for them.

The day before, the Stake YW President came down with the flu. Since I had been working closely with her to get everything ready, I got the be in charge at that point. I am so grateful to those who filled in at the very last minute, to those who help set up, and to those in charge of food and drinks. They made the night run more smoothly. I am also really gald I am not normally in charge of things.

I never had a Standards Night like this one when I was in Young Women's. We always had a speaker that would talk for an hour and then we would have refreshments. Our parents were invited. It was more like a stake fireside.

Here they do classes for the youth to pick from. Each class is about a different standard from the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet. This year they did a class for the parents to let the parents know what exactly the youth do in Young Men's and Young Women's, and what resources there are out there from the church to help them with their youth. The five classes, which the youth were able to pick three, were: Choice and Accountability, Dating, Honesty, Physical Health, and Sexual Purity. There also was an over all theme that was tied into all of the classes. We used the church wide theme for the youth, Mosiah 5:15, "Be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works...."

I made sure everything ran smoothly. I checked on each teacher to make sure they had what they needed. The youth and parents seemed to enjoy themselves. I heard only good things. The clean up went faster then I expected, but the YM President, Brother Davis, took charge of getting the building looking better then we found it.

It was a good night, but I am really glad it is over. My feet were really sore and swollen. It was nice to come home (and find out how College Football had gone).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keriann, you have always been a great organizer. I'm not surprised that this Standards Night went well. You have some great abilities. MOM