Thursday, December 17, 2009

Baptism

Last night, we had an awesome experience and a scary experience. We went to the baptism of two kids in our ward, Gabe DuBois and Shelby VanWormer. They are cousins. Gabe has recently been diagnosed with a form of lung cancer which is rare in children. It was an awesome experience to see the two baptised on the same night. Jon was asked to be one of the witnesses and to stand in the circle when they were given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Jon said it was a really amazing experience.

Then a little later, I started to go into anaphylatic shock. My allergic reaction started when I walked in the church, which is in the process of being painted (with latex paint), but what made me start to have breathing problems was gingerbread cookies for the refreshments (along with many other things). Benadryl was taken, and Jon watched me the rest of the night to see if we would have to rush to the hospital, and call someone in the middle of the night to help with James. I still am not feeling totally myself, but I will be okay for now.

This helped us decided that we will not be going to our Ward Christmas Party on Saturday. The theme is "Christmas Around the World." Ethnic dishes mixed with this time of year has a high possibility of ginger. We have been trying to decided if we would risk it or not, but having another reaction like that so close together would really not be good. So Jon and I will find another way to celebrate, probably go out to dinner at a ginger-free restaurant. I am a little bummed because I was hoping to get a picture with James on Santa's lap, but I guess we will try again next year.

I hope everyone has a merry and safe Christmas!

1 comment:

Renae said...

I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad reaction. The baptism was wondeful. If you want a picture with Santa, and use your own camera, there is a Santa at Fallen Timbers, everyday and one at Pro Bass Shop (in Perrysberg), also everyday.